AmeriCorps often described as "the domestic Peace Corps", is a national service program that involves people in "getting things done" in local communities. The program develops a lifelong ethic of service among the Members who serve. The Serve Illinois Commission funds 40 AmeriCorps programs across the state with approximately 1,800 AmeriCorps Member positions.
- AmeriCorps Members provide a variety of services as determined by local needs, including tutoring and mentoring youth, teaching health education classes, and leading community volunteers in service.
- Full-time AmeriCorps Members provide 1,700 hours of service during a year. Less than full-time Member positions are also available at some programs.
- Full-time AmeriCorps Members receive a small living stipend while serving. Living stipends may also be available for less than full-time Members.
- Upon completion of their service, Members receive an Education Award that can be used to pay qualified student loans or attend an institution of higher education.
- Full-time members are also eligible for health care and, if income eligible, child care benefits.
Individuals interested in becoming AmeriCorps Members should visit www.americorps.gov or contact the National Recruitment Hotline at 1-800-942-2677 (voice) or 1-800-833-3722 (TTY).
AmeriCorps Informational Session
AmeriCorps, the federal agency for volunteerism and national service, provides opportunities for Americans to serve their country domestically, address the nation’s most pressing challenges, improve lives and communities, and strengthen civic engagement.
Are you ready to tackle the challenges facing your community? Learn about open service opportunities and the benefits of national service at our AmeriCorps Informational Webinar.
AmeriCorps Informational Webinar
Tuesday, August 29th from 4 p.m. - 5p.m. EST
- November 28th from 4pm – 5pm EST – AmeriCorps 101
Learn More About AmeriCorps
AmeriCorps provides opportunities for more than 70,000 Americans each year give intensive service to their communities and country through three programs: AmeriCorps State and National, AmeriCorps VISTA, and AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps).